Monday, January 9, 2012

Today In The News

It’s a new day, in a couple ways: going back to college in about an hour here; and it’s day 1 of a certain 90 day fitness routine. I can’t remember its name, but it’s like P90...something or other. I’m hoping it’s normal to kind of want to puke after the first workout.
But also (joy! joy!) I get to start my independent study this week: an anthology of short stories based on the history of my fantasy novel. I may be able to share some of them here, or at least parts of them, so keep an eye out for that.
Weekends are always tough for reading, and this past one was no exception.
I think I got less than fifty pages into Dragons of Spring Dawning. Seems like they’ve been getting steadily worse, I’m not sure why. Maybe because Paksenarrion was getting steadily better, I don’t know. I might have to leave it behind and move on to Life of Pi.
Where else am I? Oh, you know I’ve been thinking about the role of the church a lot lately – this doesn’t have much to do with writing, but you know – and talking it over with my fiancée last night over dishes. While I agree with a lot she said, and the kind of “middle ground” she found, I still feel like the American church too often worries too much about bringing people into the church. “The church” in this statement being the particular building in which the congregation meets. They change the music, make it more entertaining, maybe soften the Gospel, buy gigantic flat-screen TV’s and X-Boxes for the youth – I don’t wonder if we worry too much about acquiring bodies, and forget that it is God who calls people to Himself. I’m not entirely sure this is a war of attrition; and while we need to get people in the way of hearing the Word, I have two questions: what “Word” are they hearing, and cannot actions preach as much as pastors? Would people worry so much about a church’s tax-exempt status if all that money went into helping the poor and needy instead of buying things for the church building that few else can readily afford?
Anyway, just some things I’m thinking about. I haven’t come down anywhere solid just yet – that’s the cool thing about arguing in your mind: you’re not trying to convince anyone but you, and you can take your time and actually search for the truth, not just maintain a position.
That’s all I really got for now. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment