Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Literature

So let me jump right out the gate here: Why don't we burn books? If there's a book in the library I disagree with, that just rubs me the wrong way, that I really feel is bad -- why can't I burn it? We might answer: Because that's what the Nazi's did. Generally, if the Nazi's did it, we probably shouldn't. There are exceptions: They had an extremely disciplined military force, which is generally a good thing.

So why can't we burn books?
The smart answer should be: Because regardless of its content, the mere fact that it was written, published, and read means that it says something about the culture and time in which it was published.

One of the critiques I received once went something along the lines of: "This is an example of a writer who writes for a theme, rather than writing a story and pulling the theme from it." I don't know what you, my readers', reaction might be to that statement. Because too much focus on theme results in Aesop's fables -- well loved stories to be sure, but you don't see many written anymore. Most people don't want it that blatantly. For one thing, it insults the reader's intelligence that they won't be able to figure out what the book is about without the author saying: "The moral of the story is..."

But if we don't burn books because they say something about the time and culture in which they are printed -- isn't the "saying something" pretty inherent in that definition? Regardless of the story, it should still "say something." This is unavoidable. So why is it so distasteful that an author may "say something" intentional?

Yes, my stories are written for a theme: short stories for easy themes, novels for more complicated themes. But I am one of those radicals who believes literature can make a difference -- that the ethics and ideals in this country are less than great, and through literature I might remind people of what we once believed. In so doing, I hope to present a reality where these ideals are present, and beg the reader: "Why do we stray from this? Is this vision of reality so terrible? Is our reality better?"

And if my little boat becomes battered against the shoals by the tidal waves of everything else that's written, so be it. If nothing else, I will be crushed by the wave instead of joining with it to crush everything else.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment