Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Emotion du jour: Desire

Desire: according to Mrs. Hood, the pitfall with this one is to jump to the easy sexual desire. I think of Psalm 37:4, “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (I always wonder if the catch with this verse is that your desire will be for Him...) Now, I am a man of few desires, so this is another kind of tricky one for me. But there is one, aside from the Lord and my fiancée, that I think I can adapt for this sketch. I hope you enjoy it.
Howard sat back, letting the dull scent of his tea waft into his nose as he closed his eyes. It was these times, when the call of vacation – of even a week away from the office, away from responsibilities – called to him most strongly. But he didn’t have a week; he had less than ten hours.
Without opening his eyes, his hand fell to the remote beside him, and he pushed “play.” Discs whirred and turntables clicked and settled as he brought the hot liquid to his mouth to drain slowly down his throat. When the opening strains of Chopin’s “Nocturne in C minor” leapt from the Bose speakers, Howard’s finger began dancing in the air.
Here it was. Here the thing that supplanted so many vacations fluttered more strongly in his heart than in his eardrums. His left hand holding the saucer, his right-hand fingers followed the notes; they drummed on his thigh, while in his mind he saw the keys and felt the weights of them shift, the felt hammers striking chords in the piano and in his soul. To leave the office, not for a week, but permanently; just me, a piano, and listeners, he thought. Who would need a vacation from that?

Good times. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment