Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Errant Spelling

So yeah, I can take the internet off of this computer to help it run faster; I’ll just borrow the computer from the person whose life dream is running their online business. That shouldn’t be a problem, right?
I finished East of Eden at about 3am last night. I’ll have to read Life of Pi to make sure, but I think it might just be that I’m not a huge fan of American literature. I mean it was good, well written, and I kind of want to spend more time with my dad after reading it; but it didn’t get to me like other books do – and not just fantasy, British literature too. Not entirely sure what it is.


So by the time break is over, I should have read six books. Plus, after my final revisions, I’m going through my book front to back, just reading, for two reasons:
first, I always feel like it’s shorter than other books I’ve read, so I’m seeing how long it actually takes to read. So far, it’s working out about normal for me, about a minute or so per page. Second reason: to find mistakes, and get a feel for the plot over-all. I’ve been going in sections, just tweaking little things here and there, so it’s hard for me to see the entire arc. Also I found an “and” where there should have been an “any;” and “each another” where there should have been either “one another” or “each other.”
Which got me thinking again about being a copy-editor – the person whose sole job is fixing spelling errors. I was reading a local magazine and found no less than four errors in one three-column article. I can’t help myself sometimes – even in places where most people agree spelling is not that critical (and I would argue it is always critical). It may stem from the simple, healthy compulsiveness to fix errors in my own work. There may be something more sinister going on.
Five more days, then my Senior year officially starts. I’m excited. Two more semesters, and I’m moving on to – something else. Writing hopefully; MFA maybe hopefully...we’ll see. Life’s an adventure.
See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment