Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Shoot from the hip...

I have been sucking with this lately, dunno why. So I'm composing this within Blogger (gasp!) so, Judge, if I could be granted some latitude....

Still pressing on with the more regimented writing, which is being great. This time it's for a class: Monday, hash out plot ideas, focusing on one story and getting in my head what I want it to do; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, write about 1,000 words a day; Friday, revise and turn in. 12 stories in 12 weeks, with two weeks to re-revise and arrange in book form.


I'm worrying less about theme, right now, though it's still managing to pop up. While I agree with one of my professors that literature is not only about "instructing," I think it depends on your definition of "instruction." Every book ever written and published is going to present the author's idea of how the world works -- it has to, if it resolves a conflict. Because, presumably, the conflict is resolved in a way the author either thinks is best, or thinks is true. In that sense, then, I think literature should instruct -- but it might not be saying "this should" but rather "this is."

For the most part, my stories try to say "this should." That's why I write. I don't like the way things are, I think the bar is set entirely too low and we're getting lazy: physically, intellectually, and ethically. We like postmodernism because it not only lets us do what we want (within certain legal bounds, still -- thank God) but it also frees us from the responsibility of holding others accountable for their actions. It is incredibly tough to both love and discipline, though I don't think we should see the two as mutually exclusive. "You can't judge me; you don't know me:" that's the excuse these days. We've taken such liberties with "extenuating circumstances" that we can't hold anyone up to any kind of ethical standard these days. And everyone does it: I'm not leaving anyone out of that statement. Christians give grace to those they like, and deny it from those they dislike -- others victimize anyone they like, and victimize the opponent of anyone they dislike. And, of course, we can't blame the victim. In blatant cases, yes that's true: but actions still come with consequences, and sometimes life bites back the ones who screw up.

So when I say "shoot" from the hip, I mean it, apparently. I'm feeling a little cranky tonight I guess. I'm off to bed; see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment