Monday, February 4, 2013

The Constitution and Christian's Rights



Had a good talk last night with my church small-group contrasting the church in America and in China. General conclusions? Persecution makes saying “I’m a Christian” in China meaningful, while general societal acceptance makes saying the same thing in America a lifestyle or personality trait rather than a life-changing proclamation. Which raised the question, how can we stand out in a relatively persecution-free America? Here’s what I thought.

See, it’s not so much the persecution per se in China that makes the proclamation meaningful: it’s the radical nature of that proclamation. In a country dominated by a wholly oppressive government, to which submission is unquestionable, to stand up and question it for one reason in solidarity with others is radical.

So what does radical look like in America? I could go on for several posts, probably, about that, and maybe I will. Suffice to say this: the American manifestation of belief in Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness is not Christ as I read him in the bible.

You have heard it said “Man has an inalienable right to life,” but Christ says: “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. …Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” (Matt. 10:28, 39.)

You have also heard it said “Man has a God-given right to liberty” but Paul says: “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. …Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted…” (Romans 13:1a, 2a).

Finally, you have heard it said that “God has given Man the right to the pursuit of happiness,” but Christ says: “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. …Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven…” (Matt. 5:4, 10-12a).

As a Christian, all I have and all I am belong to God, to use as He will – I have a right to nothing on earth: not my life, not my property, not others’ lives nor their property. Even my beliefs are not meant to be my own, they are meant to be God’s: a self-made belief about God is a self-made God; but I am made in His image, not He in mine. Just because you do not have a right to tell me what to believe does not mean I have a right to what I want to believe – all is God’s to direct me how I should believe.

If we truly live that way in this individualist, self-absorbed, I-before-you culture, that will be radical, refreshing, and attractive. And hard. But ultimately, I believe, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment