Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Finding Time


Time. It’s an interesting thing; people think of it as a line, a continuous sequence of events from one moment to the next. But really, from God’s perspective, it’s a giant ball of wibbly-wobbly, time-y wimey…stuff. (Yes, that’s adapted from “Dr. Who”. Moving on…) And within Creation, it’s everywhere. You can’t go any-stinkin’-where without time being right there with you. And yet people these days have so much trouble finding it; it’s incredible. Don’t get me wrong, I have that problem too.


Maybe it’s because it’s invisible; how do you find what you can’t see? Maybe because it’s unpredictable: I almost never know how much time some project will take, and sometimes I swear it’s going faster than it was a moment ago – an hour ago – is it that late already? Where did the time go??

But it didn’t go: it’s still right there. Everywhere. I think using hourglasses screwed us up for life, thinking time “runs out” like when the sand stops flowing – pfft – that’s it, time’s gone. Time doesn’t run out, it doesn’t go anywhere, and even if you die time keeps right on going – it just does it without you.

So stop blaming time for your not doing what you want to do, or what you know you should do. It’s a giant ball of wibbly wobbly, time-y wimey stuff. It marches on, comes back around, loops, same speed same cadence forever – you are the one going faster or slower, and if you can’t see time it’s because you’re blind.

Here’s what I’m doing: I’m fishing out my old netbook and deleting everything off it except a word-processor and I’m taking it to work today. Why? Because I have a half-hour for lunch, and I don’t need all that time. Do you hear me? Too much stinkin’ time! I don’t know what to do with it all. But I will take some of it and write.

Find time, faugh. Create time; sorry folks, it’s been created a lot longer than you’ve been alive. So stop sniveling and get out there and use the time you’ve been given. There’s a ton of it, and with six billion people on the planet they’re still not using it all. Grab some for yourself and get stuff done.

No comments:

Post a Comment