Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's November!

Yeah, first I put a bunch of exclamation points in the subject line, then realized that looked stupid so I got rid of them.

Well folks, it's 9:28am here; why am I blogging at 9:28am on a Tuesday, instead of my customary 1:30pm or 5:00pm, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday?

Because: It's November! All around the world, writers and wannabes are huddled around their computers, typing, chipping away at a 50,000 word monolith. Will any of them be good? I imagine one or two. But that's not the point, see; the point is to make yourself write.

At least, that's what I'm told. No, I'm not doing NaNoWriMo (and if I hear one writer correct themselves and say "NahNoeWRYMoe" I'm going to first throw a fit -- or maybe an old washcloth -- and then say "I know it's write and not wreet, but it's also nawvel not "noe"vel, and munth, not "moe"nth. So either say it "NahNawWryMuh" or shut up.") And I'm not trying to degrade those who do; but I'm trying to write an actual novel, and do 15 credits, and work. I'm certainly not going to displace writing an actual novel to write one I will throw away immediately upon finishing.

I work ten years on a novel, rework it for several months, THEN throw it away. Or lock it up until there's a better time for me to throw it away.

But seriously folks, I will be writing a novel this month. Not entirely within it, and not at 1,667 words a day. Maybe that much per week, that would be cool. But maybe not.

So, set a goal and write toward it, whether that's 50,000 by November 30, or 100,000 by next summer. Think Nike: Just do it. And if someone asks you why, say:

"It's November!"

See you tomorrow.

*this blog brought to you by Folger's coffee: drink some, or end up like this guy*

No comments:

Post a Comment