Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dialogue Blog

We had another writing exercise in class, this one strictly dialogue. My professor kept the papers, so hopefully I can recreate this wel enough. The prompt is this: an ad appears in a paper for six puppies needing a good home. A man calls inquiring about the puppies, and the woman who answers gives him directions to the house. When he arrives, though he bore no accent on the phone, it is clear to the woman he is of Chinese descent. He quickly makes it clear he wants all six puppies. Succumbing to the prejudice that dog is a dish in China, she suddenly fears for her adorable puppies. The dialogue ensues:

“All six?” she asks faintly.

“Of course,” he replies with a smile.

There is a pause. “That’s a lot of food. Uh, I mean a lot of dog food. A lot of food to have to feed the dogs, that is.”

“I’m sure they won’t grow that big,” he says with a chuckle.

“Six is a lot of dogs to have.”

“Well my family loves dogs; they’ll probably each want one. Maybe for Christmas.”

“Or Thanksgiving,” she mutters quietly.

“I’m sorry?” he asks.

“No, I’m sorry, Mr--?”

“Chen.”

“Mr. Chen; what is it you said you did again?”

“I’m in exports,” he says, sticking his hands in his pockets.

“Oh? To where?”

“China, Vietnam…a few others.”

“Is there a lot of money in that?” she asks.

“Some. I’m sorry, is there a problem?”

“I just – I think my ad was unclear. I really only want to give one per family.”

“No, I’m pretty sure your ad was very clear; it said six puppies for a good home. I want to give them that. So what’s the problem?”

“It’s just, people don’t usually buy six of anything, unless they’re…”

“Unless they’re what?”

“Shopping,” she says quietly, her eyes dropping for an instant.

Mr. Chen stared at her for several moments, then burst into laughter. As his chuckles subsided, he wiped his eyes. “Mrs. Devlin,” he says, still smiling. “You don’t eat collies!”

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot here -- preconceived notions, a bit of prejudice, a bit of animal love, an dhumor -- all in just a few words of dialogue. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete