Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Emotion du jour: Curiosity

Unfortunately, I have to be a little critical right off the bat. I don’t generally like doing that, because it sets a bad tone sometimes for the rest of time – but today’s emotion is a perfect example of where Mrs. Hood misses the mark, in my estimation. In her book, she intro’s the emotion and discusses some of the pitfalls – today, specifically talking about how curiosity can bleed over into nosiness and other “curiosity gone bad” scenarios. Then she’ll give some bad examples and discuss why; finally, she gives good examples. Only, sometimes it seems the good examples aren’t that good. Today, for example, there were slight allusions to perhaps past curiosity; but the examples themselves displayed no curiosity whatsoever. I’m not trying to slam the book; in fact, I recommend it. But, as with any book you read (even mine), it’s not necessarily true just 
because it’s in print.

And I say this before I even attempt to show curiosity. But I have a special treat for you: instead of writing something totally new, I’ve decided to pull something from my book. I hope you enjoy it.


The party stood atop the hill, gazing speechlessly at the village below. But then, as time passed, they realized that though the flames towered over many of the buildings, still they did not burn down. Slowly, as questions overcame their shock, they made their way down the hill toward the nearest building.
Corith approached one, his sword drawn. Though the rush of the flames almost deafened them, there was no crackling of wood; and even up close, no heat emanated from the fire. Corith poked at the flames, but his blade stopped a hand-width from the fire. He stepped forward and pressed his palm against something solid, but invisible.
“I think someone else discovered your wind-trick, Sarah,” he said, still pushing with his hand. Sarah stepped forward, gingerly reaching out with a finger; when it struck the same invisible wall Corith encountered, she pulled it back.
“So it would seem,” she agreed.
“Let’s see what we can find, if anything,” Haydren said, drawing his sword. “Spread out, but be wary.”


See you tomorrow. Thursday’s prompt is Desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment