Friday, December 16, 2011

Back, and Forward

So, I’ve been away for a while. Some of you might have noticed odd silences on Facebook of Twitter. See, it’s Finals Week – or, it was. It’s over now. And I’ve survived seven Finals Weeks thus far – less than some, but more than others – and I’m getting a handle on what it takes to get through them. This year, with five papers and two tests due within three days, it meant putting my head down and not letting myself get distracted. Even by this blog. Or my fiancée.

That went well.

But now, though not entirely out of the woods, I can step back and breathe a little. My reading list for 
Christmas break is now up to six books: Dragons of Chiril by Donita K. Paul; Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman; Sheepfarmer’s Daughter by Elizabeth Moon; The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald; East of Eden by John Steinbeck; and The Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

I’m still getting advice and comments on my book from my friend, so the official revision won’t begin till probably the first or second week of January. But, sensing that I probably won’t be able to last that long, I may start tinkering in the next week here or so. Then it’ll be time to start agent-hunting again.
I spoke with my adviser on Wednesday about him reading my book, and about looking for agents. We did a quick search on agentquery.com for agents looking for Christian and Fantasy, accepted email queries, was a member of AAR, and who are actively seeking new clients. My adviser said we might get fifteen hits, if we were lucky. We got two; and one of them wasn’t working as an agent anymore.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately…) getting rid of the “Christian” modifier expands the search to a whopping 35.

So, that’s how I’m moving forward. Let’s all have a good Christmas, or whatever holiday you and yours celebrate this winter solstice.

See you Monday (promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment