Friday, September 9, 2011

Writing And: Christ

It’s not coffee today, sadly; apple juice and a subway sammich for me, nourishing myself to be ready to work after classes. I claimed there was nothing inherent in coffee that fostered good writing; let’s see if that holds up today.

To answer your question: yes, I am not only a writer but a Christian as well. It may be popular these days to not let oneself be defined by just one thing; I don’t have that luxury, and no Christian does either. Now, there is still nothing inherent in writing in general that links it to Christianity. If you haven’t caught this thread yet, let me be clear; meaning does not exist in this world without humanity. Note I say “in this world,” and I’ll come back to that. But a table is not a table unless it is used as such. I could curl up, feasibly, on the table at which I sit and call it a “bed.” And of course, what “bed” means is subject to how we define it. It would be a small bed, and uncomfortable, and would not fit into any current bed-sizing language (it’s round...). But if “bed” means “thing upon which one sleeps,” than there are many things that can be called a bed. To my cat, I might be a bed.

This goes doubly for words. Words, after all, are symbols; symbols, in fact, of symbols of symbols. Words on a page symbolize words that are spoken, which symbolize thoughts. Meaning can be construed or misconstrued at any point along that path. (To divert for a moment, I accept the largely feminist notion that philosophy has been corrupted by male-dominated discourse; after all, rationality and logic is only useful to the extent it can be expressed by words.)

So, when words are used, we can claim they mean whatever we want. Or we can empty them of meaning – or attempt to – to say that foul language is not truly foul, because only be cultural interpretation are they foul. But there is a greater problem, a greater question to be answered.

When God chose to reveal Himself to generations, he used words. In John 1, He is described as The Word. When He created, even, He said; He used words. Words, then, should be used very carefully, should they not? If it is the method by which God creates, and then reveals Himself to His creation, then He is probably very interested in words, and how they are used.

Because, see, meaning can be stirred around by humans, true enough; but God first infuses meaning. To mess with His meaning and try to conform it to our will is to debase Him, and exult ourselves. Does that mean God speaks English? Interesting to consider: returning to John 1, it says that by Him everything was made that was made – including language. I would venture to say God speaks English better than anyone else, ever. James 1:5, one of my favorite verses, says: “If anyone lacks wisdom, let him [or her] ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault.” If a Frenchman asks God for wisdom, will God reply in English? Or German? Of course not; He speaks to all in ways they can understand.

So if I am going to engage in a practice which God Himself engages in, I should make very sure I use it properly. It’s not inherent in writing; but it is inherent in Christianity. And as I am a Christian, it needs to be inherent in me.

See you on Monday.

[Stats unchanged.]

No comments:

Post a Comment