Friday, September 30, 2011

The Day I Started Working for God

So I totally missed National Coffee Day. I hope you all enjoyed a cup; if you haven’t, feel free to grab one now! It’s not too late; and while you’re ruminating, check out bookcraft.etsy.com for some awesome, coffee-stained home-made décor items!
Somewhere around yesterday, 19 years ago, I began working for God. Is that the day I came to Christ, you ask? I tend to think I must come to Christ every day, renewing the covenant my itinerant heart made ten years ago, and again 17 years ago, and again seven years ago....
But it was around this time, 19 years ago, that I wrote my first short story. It was one notebook page in length, and dealt with a selfish leprechaun who horded lucky four-leaf clovers. In a bit of logic that only my six-nearly-seven-year-old brain could come up with, he came to realize the errors of his ways, and began spreading the luck around instead of keeping it for himself.
Though my walk with God has been...broken, many times, His walk with me has been ever-faithful. And at times when I wouldn’t consider I was thinking of Him, he has been with me, infusing my stories with His will. Though I do it intentionally now, it was present in shadow form even years ago in very, very rough drafts.
So even though I shy away from “salvation” stories, leaving that work for the Scriptures to accomplish, I do write stories that privilege Christian morals. Where many TV shows these days value sex and pleasure, my story values the respect of women, and hard work that lead to a stronger mind and body.
So while I do write stories that I enjoy, they are not for the sole purpose of enjoyment. While I hope to be published, my sole purpose is not to make money. I do the work I feel called to, that I have talent for; God will provide my daily bread, as he consistently has, whether in season or out of season.
Here’s to another year, and approaching twenty years of working for God. See you Monday.
Six chapters revised, thus far. And going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment