Friday, March 16, 2012

A Salvation Issue

I know I'm wading into dangerous waters here, but I will try to be as reasonable and humble as I can. Last Sunday in our small-group we got off on a major disagreement on salvation: can you lose it, what defines its gaining, things like this. My baseline question for this discussion is this: if a man or woman "says the prayer" at a young age, then during college falls away, eventually stating: "I no longer believe there is any such thing as God"; is that person saved? John 3:16 says, in part, "whoever believes in Him shall not perish." So if you stop believing, are you still saved? But after several conversations, and much time to think, I'm thinking this may still be the wrong question.
Now, before I get too much further let me say this: God knows who is and is not saved, and that's what's important. It is not for us mere mortals to judge the salvation of another. I only offer this argument in part for myself, and in part to give others something to think about: but ultimately, the assurance of salvation is between you and God. My point in doing this, then, is to push you toward God so you can talk to Him about it. The point, dear friends, is to be in relationship with God.

The problem with my opening question, in a sense, is its presumption of salvation in the first place. By asking "are you still saved" it almost-too-obviously assumes you were saved to begin with. It's inherent in the word "still." So when one friend and mentors response to my question was "well, I would question whether or not they were saved to begin with," it had some merit, even though I turned it around and asked "how can we know we're saved, then." That latter question may be the better to focus on.

I remember once when applying for a position with a former church, they asked the question "When did you commit your life to Christ?" In my own experience, I tend to dislike that question, because there are so many possible answers, I feel. Five, like my mom says? Eight, the time I can actually remember saying "the prayer"? 18, when after a long fall I started rising again? 22, when I came back after another fall? Finally, I scribbled down somewhat snarkily -- but truthfully -- "Every morning."

There's an interesting couple of verses in 1 Corinthians 3, that say this: "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person's work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved -- even though only as one escaping through the flames" (I Cor. 3:11-15, italics mine).

Here are two questions: what happens if we reject the foundation and try to build our own, is that what salvation is; and are you satisfied with merely escaping through the flames.

At the end of the day -- or maybe the beginning, as it were -- it comes down to you and God. Are you committing to Him every day? Or did you "say a prayer" and walk away? Were you ever there with Him? Only you can answer those questions, and only you can be assured -- if you want it -- of your walk with God. I can't tell you that you're not saved, and I shouldn't tell you that you definitely are. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 7:21 NIV). Ask Him; He's dying to speak to you.

See you Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment