Friday, March 2, 2012

Home School or Public School?

Don't let the title mislead you: this will be about faith. I came to this topic when speaking with my "agnostic" friend (who admitted to me that true scientists could never be anything but agnostic or believer -- atheism requires proof, which doesn't exist.) I was trying to relate a good story in which I experienced God -- because I truly believe that is the only "proof" someone will ever get. Unfortunately, my story had to do with God's providence. I say "unfortunately" because it immediately brought up the question: why you, and not this other person? This person who died, for instance. And I don't want to be glib about this, because these are serious issues. But I think we miss the point about God.
See, I think too often we look out to our peers (humans) for wisdom so that we might come to God. But if James 1:5 is followed, we should be going up (to God) for wisdom so that we might come to other people. I'm not pastor-bashing, or church-bashing, or anything-bashing; I'm pointing out that God doesn't want good people, or a good nation, He wants you. He is a personal God, who wants a direct relationship with a person. Why was the veil of the temple torn? Because He didn't want intermediaries. Jesus died not so we could go to church and get to heaven, but so we could enter into a personal relationship with God.

So what? I hear some of you ask. Well, it means we are in a home school, not a public school. It means God isn't standing in front of the entire world giving a lecture. It means God blesses one person because he is teaching something to that one person. Something that we may not -- and even the blessed person may not -- begin to realize. He sends others through trials for the same reason.

And He doesn't view death in the same temporal way we do; death is not the end.

I'm not trying to minimize anyone's grief in the loss of a loved one. It hurts. But when we can step away from it, we have to stop thinking about death as "the ultimate punishment." That death is God's way of giving up on us. We think that way probably because, in our judicial system, the death penalty is the ultimate sentence. But God can use death as a teaching instrument just as well as He can use trials and blessings. And God is in the business of teaching us, one-on-one, and making us more like Him.

"What will this man do?" the disciple asked. Jesus answered "what difference does that make to you? Love me, and do as I command you." God knows us, knows what we need to become more like Him. Trust Him in that, and learn what you can. He gives generously to all without finding fault: ask Him for wisdom.

See you Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment