Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday: Read

Sorry I missed Writing Wednesday. I'm trying not to make that a habit, but with work, school, a book, and a fiancee, days can really run away from you. I can tell you that some exciting things are developing toward finding an agent/publishing, but I don't want to bring those eggs to market before they hatch, as it were.

But, oddly, as I was laying in bed this morning I was thinking about death. Specifically about knowing when you were going to die. Usually that knowledge comes, at most, months ahead of the occurrence. There's a devotional series about how to live your whole life as if you've only got 30 days to live. I cannot fully apply that, because as I think about writing and think about all I want to write -- there's simply no way to do all that within thirty days. I have to take a more patient position, or I'll drive myself nuts.

But what if we did know when we were going to die? I know there's been movies and TV episodes based on this premise, and it's getting kind of old. Do you think there would be a year that you wouldn't mind living until? Would there be a year that you would mind living until? Depends on health, sometimes, doesn't it. I wouldn't necessarily want to live to 110 if I had chronic hip pain at 70. Maybe there are those who wouldn't mind dying at 50 or 60: they've had a good life, accomplished everything they've wanted to; "let me go" they might say. But of course, I'm not saying it should be that way.

I also wonder how many of us could choose to die. What if we had some internal trigger that -- when we really meant it, not when we were in the throes of teenage angst -- would let us choose the time of our death.?I feel like every time that moment came, we might push it back a little further. "Let me die when I'm 70." We reach 70, and have grandkids who are getting old enough to be fun. "Never mind, let me die when I'm 80." But now the grandkids are nearing graduation. "Give me until 90." Great grandkids are on the way...

So what about knowing when you're going to die, and also choosing that time to die? It is Good Friday, I said so in the title. Jesus knew when he was going to die, and he spoke of it often. But he also chose that time, in not calling legions of angels to prevent his arrest. Now, not many of us fulfill our lives in our death; usually our work during our life is the calling. But it's still something to consider, and something worth considering. And it's not like Jesus chose to slip away quietly, with friends and loved ones around; he chose a painful, excruciating death. I'm not sure [m]any of us could do that. So in this day of remembrance, let's remember to give thanks, too.

See you next week.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you that at 60, I've discovered myself entering the most creative period of my entire life. I never would have expected that to happen when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete