Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Let's Get Serious!


It’s time to get serious, folks. For me, not necessarily for you (though maybe you need to get serious about something too? Hmmm....). So, hold me accountable; I’m on a journey, you see, a journey to get published. My wares so far is a fantasy fiction novel, with above ten publishable (I think, anyway) short stories that I’ve gathered along the way. While querying agents for that book, I’m also beginning to work on a second novel.
So here’s the plan: each week I give you an update on how the second novel is progressing, and how the search for an agent/publisher is progressing. I’ll also talk every now and then about what issues I’m working through as I write, both great big metaphysical issues and smaller technical writing issues.
So, a little about me to kick things off: the object of my books, as a Christian writer, is to neither proselytize nor preach. I’m not trying to bring my readers to Christ, or trying to teach Christians to better reflect Christ, though that may happen anyway. My books, being fantasy, are to merely illustrate Christian morals and ethics in action. Kind of the way TV shows these days supposedly reflect culture at large (though who influences who is a discussion I won’t get into here), my books are going to reflect what Christian culture should be. Whether or not that’s what’s in the world is, well...it’s not, by and large; at least not what most of the country sees on TV. How accurate a reflection that is, is, well...it’s not, by and large.
So here’s the format: sometime before the end of the day Saturday, each week, I post up something like what you’ve just read. At the end, as sort of a post script, I give figures; namely....
Word Count, Book Two: 530 (though this figure is a bit squiffy since I’m in the process of moving the first chapter back a bit in time; I actually have over 5,000 words of book two. Book One is at 102,000+ words.)
Agents Queried, Book One: 6
Agents Rejected, Book One: 5, with one no-reply for a total of six (I am just kind of starting out...)
And away we go! May we all find success on our journeys. See you again by week’s end.

No comments:

Post a Comment